June 23 beach clean up






Well today was beach clean up day. A bit worried who would show. There was the original 8 as you can see on the paper. Well it grew to 15 after word got out in the village. The first photo is at 9:30 with bags empty and the guys ready!! The next photo is of the guys with full bags in fact some it's their second full bag. It was a huge success. They only problem was as I said word spreading like wildfire. People who weren't involved were coming up a bit aggressive saying their name was on the list. I show them the list and say no you are not on it. Unfortunately we were not able to go to the village to buy the maze and beans. In fact Wilson was going to purchase an entire bag of maze for each participate!!  Since it got so crazy Wilson just gave each guy 2,000 shilling which was better for them in the long run. This one guy kohuru  with the dreads insisted we walk to his village and meet his family to say thank you. He said it was a 20 min walk. 5.2 miles later according to my Google watch we make it. 6 girls and his wife greeted us. He was so proud. It's amazing those who have so little take such pride in what they accomplished. He has 6 chickens a plot of growing corn a few productive banana trees and a communal mango grove. We who have so much lose perspective on what's truly important. These people share in their entire community. What they have in excess they share and visa versa. It's truly one love. Well clearly we weren't going to walk back so he got us a motorbike back. I don't like motorbikes and said please go slow. He said mama I take good care of you. As he did. Very respectful and mindful. Aisha pictured above cleaned out place every day. She was so kind. Always trying to keep things as we left them. I thought I was clean but wow she is even cleaner.  It was a great day. Tomorrow Mombasa 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here!!

July 27 hot air balloons

. The streets of Jaipur